Why Use VDW 520 GFTK Xtreme Gravel Lock 2 Component Epoxy?
The GFTK Xtreme Gravel Lock is a 2-component epoxy to be mixed with any clean aggregate to provide solutions for pathways, wide paver joints, tree pits, and more.
Pressure Washer Friendly
With any Joint compound, having it be self-compacting allows for increased strength by minimizing voids between pavers.
This creates a tighter bond and seal! With this feature, there is no need for additional compacting equipment during installation.
Being permeable means that water will flow through the compound. This is especially important to have in freezing and thawing climates. This keeps the stones dry while reducing water runoff from rain or irrigation systems, allowing water to drain into the ground. This water soaks into the earth, recharging our groundwater and slowing erosion.
Very High Resistance To Yellowing
This makes it ideal for high-traffic areas and outdoor applications. With this gravel lock, your project will stay beautiful for years to come!
High UV Resistance
Included in its strengths is that the epoxy has the ability to avoid degradation caused by the absorption of UV radiation.
This will allow your project to stand the test of time for much longer. Especially while being in consistent sunshine.
Tools You Need to Install this VDW 520 Gravel Lock
The Hydro Broom makes adds the needed water to activate the VDW 480 Xtreme Easy chemical and helps the material fall into the space between the pavers! It is also a great tools to sweep and clean a patio at the end of a job.Buy Now
Approx. 30 minutes at 20°C | 68°F* application temp. * Quick hardening at higher temperatures and slow hardening at lower temperatures.
The contents of one unit (5 kg) can bind a maximum of about 240 lbs. of aggregate (~160 lbs. glass chippings)
1.5” for aggregates less than 1/2” in diameter.
For vehicular traffic: The product must be laid on a permeable concrete or mortar bed (we recommend GFTK Xtreme Bedding Compound / VDW 480)
2-26°C | 37-80°F (Do not lay onto frozen ground.)
Storage Life 12 months, dry, and in an original sealed container. Do not store at temperatures above 20°C / 68°F
Application Instructions for GFTK VDW 520 Gravel Lock
1. Construction Site Requirements
For pedestrian areas:
- A stable and well-compacted gravel/sandbedding layer.
- The depth of the PHNA Xtreme Gravel Lock should be a minimum of 1.5” after compaction and finishing.
For vehicular traffic:
- The product must be laid on a permeable concrete or mortar bed – we recommend the PHNA Xtreme Trass Bedding Compound (vdw 480).
- All elements must be correctly designed and installed for the anticipated traffic loads and in accordance with ASTM. The Xtreme Gravel Lock cannot be used to compensate for any settlement of the substructure.
- Clean the base material and any joint sides to ensure no contaminants or uncompacted materials are present.
- Mask any adjacent areas not to be jointed to prevent any spots or staining from the epoxy.
- Prior to Installation, we recommend a test area be prepared, particularly with any sensitive materials.
- Any dirty or dusty aggregates should be washed thoroughly and dried prior to mixing to avoid discoloration and/or loss of strength.
- Aggregate may be damp but cannot be wet.
- Tools Needed:
Heavy-duty paddle/drill mixer or suitable gravity mixer, large mixing tub, shovel, screeding tolls, and trowels.
- Add the appropriate amount of aggregate into the mixing tub or gravity mixer.
- Followed by the appropriate amount of both A & B components of the Xtreme Gravel Lock.
- (The 5kg units of Xtreme Gravel Lock will have 1/4 markings on each bottle, each 1/4 to be mixed with a maximum of 60 lbs. aggregate
- Mix for 5 minutes until homogeneous.
- Apply the freshly mixed material onto the prepared substrate.
- Spread and level off with appropriate screeding tools or a trowel, then compact and smooth the surface with a trowel.
- Material may get sticky and more difficult to work with after 30 minutes or in higher temperatures.
5. Important Instruction
- Remain off the freshly applied areas and protect them from heavy rain for a period of min. 24 hours. Then the areas can be walked over carefully.
- In general, a strength test should be carried out before final clearance of the area after 7 days.
- The practice has shown that there are minerals for which the epoxy used can produce special effects such as darkening.
- Over time, this weathers off, and the mineral substance regains its natural color.
- In covered areas, the weathering process takes longer.
- With bright white minerals, a slightly yellowish color change may occur.
- These phenomena result from the contact between Xtreme Gravel Lock epoxy and mineral aggregate and are not a design defect.
- Color differences may occur until curing is complete, especially with strongly varying UV radiation.
- The gloss effect remaining after application will degrade over time from exposure to natural UV light.
- Despite careful processing, marginal detachment of individual grains cannot be ruled out.
See More GFTK Jointing Products
See the GFTK Xtreme Joint Compound: VDW 850 PlusBuy GFTK 850 Plus
GFTK VDW 950 Stone Protect Plus 3 In 1Buy GFTK VDW 950
GFTK Xtreme Ceramic: VDW 815 Grouting BinderBuy VDW 815